Proper Squat Form
Over the next few weeks, I will be discussing the most popular exercises that are incorporated into a strength training program. Today, I will start with the king of all exercises: the squat.
Listed below are the steps to a proper squat:
1. Start by standing up tall with your feet shoulders width apart and your legs turned out to 45 degrees
2. Hinge at the hips, keeping your back straight, as you slowly lower your hips and bend your knees
3. Sit back into your squat so that your knees do not go past your toes
4. Do not let your knees drop in to the center line, keep them aligned over your third toe
5. Squat to 90 degrees of hip flexion if able
6. Push up through your heels to return to the starting position.
It is best to start with bodyweight squats and to get your form correct before you move on to squats with weights.